What is Detox Water?
Learn about the benefits of detox water
Staying healthy and looking your best requires a fine balance of healthy lifestyle habits. Sleep, diet, exercise, and water play a huge role in how you feel and look.
In this blog I want to talk about water. Yes – water! Water and staying hydrated are key to supporting your liver health, giving you energy, aiding in weight loss, and keeping your organs functioning.
I know many of you struggle to drink enough water. I get it – you’re busy and sometimes a glass of plain water simply isn’t appealing.
It’s much easier and delicious to make a coffee, drink a soda, pour a glass of juice, or indulge in fancy coffee shop drink. These beverages taste great and give you a short-term energy boost, but soon enough you’re feeling lethargic, puffy, and irritable.
This is because you’re not drinking enough water! According to the Mayo Clinic, women need 11.5 cups of water per day and men need 15.5 cups. This is water – not coffee, tea, soda, or juice. And if you work-out or are doing a natural liver detox, you need even more water.
The good news is, there’s a delicious way to blast the bloat, get rid of the headaches, find more energy, and even help with weight loss – detox water. Detox water is easy to make and it can help you feel and look your best.
Keep reading to get all your questions about water and detox water answered. I tell you why water is critical to your health and weight loss, explain detox water, and share my favorite detox water recipes.
If you have any questions or want to know more about detox water, make sure you join the JJ Smith Community Facebook page, sign up for my mailing list, and read my 7-Day Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanse book.
Why You Need to Drink More Water
You need to drink water because it is essential to life. Almost every organ and body system requires water to function. Staying hydrated is one of the easiest and natural ways to stay healthy and support your body.
The Mayo Clinic highlights how water functions in your body:
- Regulates body temperature
- Moistens tissues in the eyes, nose, and mouth
- Protects body organs and tissues
- Carries nutrients and oxygen to cells
- Lubricates joints
- Lessens burden on the kidneys and liver by flushing out waste products
- Helps dissolve minerals and nutrients to make them accessible to your body
And water helps prevent constipation, removes bacteria from your bladder, aids digestion, boosts your metabolism, and helps with weight loss.
You lose water through your breath, sweat, and when you pee and poop. This is why you need to stay on top of your water intake and make sure you’re hydrated. Water is essential to looking fantastic and feeling great.
What is Detox Water?
Detox water is water infused with fruits, vegetables, and herbs. Detox water contains almost no calories (water doesn’t contain any calories) because natural ingredients like lemons, berries, spinach, mint, or cucumber are infused rather than juiced or blended.
Detox water takes plain boring water to the next level. When you squeeze fresh lemon juice into a glass of water or fill a pitcher with water and sliced cucumber, you’re creating hydrating and delicious detox water.
This flavorful water makes it easier for many people to drink enough water and offers a range of health benefits including aiding in weight loss, improving digestion, and improving your mood and energy levels.
How to Make Detox Water
To make detox water follow these simple steps:
- Fill a glass or pitcher with water.
- Chop up some fresh fruits and/or vegetables.
- Add the natural fruits and vegetables to your water.
- Leave on the counter or in the fridge to infuse the flavors or drink immediately.
I know – it’s that easy! And to get you started and show you how easy it is to make and drink detox water every day, here are some of my favorite detox water recipes.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Detox Water: add 2 tablespoons of unfiltered and unprocessed apple cider vinegar, a dash of lemon, and a pinch of cayenne pepper to 6-8 ounces of water. If you prefer a sweet detox water, add a small amount of stevia. To drink, add a small amount of this healthful water to a large glass of water.Apple cider vinegar detox water helps remove toxins, aids in digestion, supports liver health, and improves circulation. Drinking diluted apple cider vinegar water before every meal helps stimulate your metabolism, so you can burn fat faster and reduces the amount of time fat stays in your digestive tract.
- Cucumber Detox Water: slice half a cucumber, slice a lemon, and add this to a pitcher of water. For a bit of zest, add fresh mint leaves. This detox water tastes best when it has infused overnight in the fridge.Cucumber detox water helps aid your digestion and flushes out toxins. Drink this after meals.
- Mint Ginger Detox Water: peel and slice 2 inches of fresh ginger, slice one cucumber, slice a lemon or lime and add these ingredients plus 10 fresh mint leaves to one gallon of water. Let the water infuse for three to four hours.Ginger is a superfood, used in all cultures for flavor and for its health benefits such as calming nausea, soothing a sore throat, and anti-inflammatory properties. Drink mint ginger detox water through-out the day. For an evening drink, add some hot water to a mug and top it off with this healthful detox water.
- Pineapple Lemon Mango Detox Water: add cubed mango and pineapple and half a sliced lemon to a pitcher or large glass of water. You can drink this immediately or let it infuse for an hour so.Pineapple lemon mango detox water is packed full of health benefits thanks to bromelain, an anti-inflammatory enzyme in pineapples and the Vitamin C in the lemon. Additionally, mango helps you get rid of belly bloating and puffiness.
- Lemon Detox Water: simple squeeze one fresh lemon into a large glass of water. Drink immediately.Lemon detox water is a great way to get hydrated first thing in the morning. I like to start my day with a large glass of lemon detox water. When I do a natural liver detox, I make sure I have a large pitcher of lemon detox water ready to drink.
- Alkaline Detox Water: this water is a hydrogen-rich water which detoxifies the body and gives your skin a young, smooth, and elastic appearance. Alkaline water has a higher pH level, making it less acidic than regular water.The easiest way to make alkaline detox water is to squeeze a lemon or lime into a glass of distilled water. Using distilled water ensures there aren’t any additives or artificial ingredients in your detox water.
Detox water is super versatile. Feel free to experiment and add your favorite fruits, vegetables, and herbs to water. Fresh berries, sliced oranges, basil, cinnamon, turmeric, watermelon, and sliced grapefruit are popular detox water ingredients.
Do you have a favorite detox water recipe? Share it with the JJ Smith Community Facebook page – help spread the word about the health benefits of detox water.
Trust me, once you start drinking detox water, you can’t stop. You really can feel the powerful impacts of hydration when you drink detox water daily. More energy, better digestion, fresh breath, a flatter belly, and an end to bloating are just some of the benefits of detox water.
This is the perfect time to make hydration a priority. You’ll feel better inside and out and as an extra bonus, you’ll have more energy, better digestion, and less belly bloat.
To help you stay motivated, read my 7-Day Apple Cider Vinegar Cleanse book – it’s packed with meal and drink recipes to support your body’s natural detoxification process and to jumpstart your journey to permanent weight loss.